Thursday, October 4, 2007

Drawring Is the Funzorz!


I used to draw quite a lot, but regrettably, I simply don't have the time anymore. I have the time to dabble every now and then, but the thing about drawing (at least for me) is that if you don't keep your skills up through constant practice, you won't get results you're entirely thrilled with. So if and when I do "dabble," I get crap, which only frustrates me and thus I put the pencil and pad aside for another month or so. Thank God I have a good metabolism, because I fear I would rather easily fall prey to a shame spiral that would eventually involve me eating my weight in roast beef covered in chocolate sauce. For those of you playing along at home, the roast beef would be the thing covered in chocolate sauce, not me. That would be just weird, and the kind of mental image I would only wish upon sworn blood enemies.

Nevertheless, there are times when things just click, regardless of how long away I've been from the medium. Case in point: the picture heading this post. I drew it last year sometime, but despite how rusty I was, everything came out crisply and fell right into place. I imagine this is what athletes mean when they talk about being "in the zone," though for someone of my meager athletic ability to attempt approximating even an understanding of that trope may smack of hubris. Still, I think it gets the point across.

Anyway, I'm only writing this post because I want that picture to be in my profile, but apparently, the system demands the arcane sacrifice of the pic included in a genuine blog post, from which the profile can then steal away. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, but then again, I can't understand how an entire electronic language can be composed solely of 1's and 0's, and of course, my persistent belief that the world is indeed flat and that ships routinely sail off the edge of the sea into the great abyss. Call me old-fashioned, I guess.

Then again, I have been thinking I need more grist for my diseased mind to mill over (wow...I fit both "grist" and "mill" into the same sentence without literally talking about an actual mill) in these blog posts, so perhaps I'll start including brief (at the mere mention of that word, I can hear my loyal reader--yes, singular--breathe a heartfelt sigh of relief) posts with any promising sketches that happen to have bled from my pencil that week. Of course, that would entail me drawing every week. Still, should anything worth sharing come up, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colonel Gentleman,

While I have a hard time believing you are a Colonel, I am absolutely positive you are not a gentleman. Chocolate syrup and roast beef? I say you scrap the syrup and cover yourself with the meat. Then go out and wrestle a bear. I don't expect you will, but if you do I will forever hold you up as the manliest of all (gentle)men.

I digress. I wanted to get on the old webtranet to let you know that I think your drawing translates really well in a digital medium. You should start an online comic. Until then, keep your sword properly concealed in it's sheath.

P.S. If carrying around sword-canes is illegal, someone should tell Boyz II Men. Those fools have been toting them around Philly proper for well over a decade.

Colonel Gentleman said...

I always forget to tap into the bear-wrestling well of humor. Thanks for the reminder. As for Boyz II Men, they could not be reached for comment. Their manager/mom said that they're performing at a high school reunion this weekend, but that afterward, if I'd care to leave my name and number along with a detailed message, they'd get right back to me. I didn't not care to do so.