Thursday, July 22, 2010

Yo Soy En La Bibliotecha

It doesn't take a clairvoyant to guess that I'm a big fan of Old Spice's ongoing absurdist ad campaign; indeed, I've even used one or two of the commercials as objects for analysis in class. Even less surprising, with the popularity of the campaign has come a number of parodies, but the following one, dovetailing off the Old Spice guy's own shout-out to libraries, warms the cockles of my cold, dead academic heart. For years, university libraries were getting a bad rap, what with the hobos / hippies sleeping in window alcoves and perverts stalking (and occasionally assaulting) students in the stacks. But in my defense, I was just making sure my students were performing proper research techniques for their papers; the bear mace was really unnecessary on their part.

First the original video by the Old Spice guy, then the parody from Bring-Them-Young University.





The moral of these stories: litereseas is goodest. No need to despair for the plight of American edukation. OMG. ROFL!!1!! :) BYOB C U LATR!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't use 'ser' when you mean 'estar'.

And you call yourself a language professor.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm only leaving anonymous comments because logging in is too hard. I hate you.

-Andrew

Colonel Gentleman said...

English language professor, that is. Or was I deliberately using the incorrect verb to make a funny? The world may never know.

Actually, I had honestly forgotten about the whole ser / estar distinction. What kind of language has two words for similar situations? That's both dumb and stupid.