Saturday, November 17, 2007

Speaking of Self-Help

As the tail end of my previous post seemed to dip into the well of self-help (advertising, at least), I thought I'd pass along some of the more obscure self-help titles out there. You probably won't find them on the shelf at your local Borders, but that's probably a good thing. Here are my top ten favorites, but you can read the other ninety by following this link.


1. Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the Opposite Sex but were Tasered for Asking Previously

2. Shut Up About your Dead Wife! Dating after 60

3. Controlling Your Rage with Arson

4. Anal Only: Raising your Christian Teen as a Technical Virgin

5. Suck it Up: No one in the Sudan has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

6. The Child of your Field Hockey Coach has Two Mommies

7. YOU: Grimly Eating Lunch Alone in your Car

8. Some Women are Also from Mars: Learning to Love a She-Male

9. I Think Def Leppard is Pretty Rad, Too: Communicating with Today's Teenager

10. So You're Attracted to Grandma

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is your best post ever. Not only did it make me laugh out loud but it also gives me insight into the secret inner workings of Colonel Gentlemen who, I assume, is familiar with several of these texts.

Anonymous said...

wow! wow...

Anal Only: Raising your Christian Teen as a Technical Virgin...

wow...

the others are just as "enlightening" ...

a little wierded out, i must admit!

Colonel Gentleman said...

I know. They certainly don't pull any punches, do they? And a hundred of them, too. How long did it take those writers to sit down and come up with them all? And they got paid for it! And here we are, working on our dissertations for free.

Unknown said...

I have to say that I personally enjoy grimly eating lunch alone in my car as it serves to further the feeling of elitism I try to maintain. As far anal Christians go, I'd hafts say that they were more amenable to oral, but I see where the true humor lies.

media sheep said...

My personal favorite, based entirely on the fact that I was (and possibly still am) a closet Def Leppard fan:

I Think Def Leppard is Pretty Rad, Too: Communicating with Today's Teenager

If only my parents had read THAT book. I'd be wearing leather chaps and singing along to lovely acoustic ballads while furiously beating away at drums with only one arm.