Monday, November 26, 2007

Why can't I think of catchy names like that?

Ryan over at More Rants than Raves has once again birthed a charmingly unique and fascinating idea. While it's not nearly as funny as the DMV picture project, this one has considerably more potential. Sorry unibrow Ryan from the last license. Anyway, he's christened it "The Invisiblog," and since the glass from the broken champagne bottle is still strewn across the docks, you might yet catch the project's maiden voyage as it slips gleefully out to sea.

The premise behind the project is a blog where the host posts only titles, leaving the remainder of the post blank. The post is then (re)constructed through visitor's comments on whatever title they choose. Essentially, it's a sort of group, found-text piece, where subsequent visitors can elaborate and redirect the shape of the original "post," thereby making the blog visitors the actual "bloggers." For instance, today's title (he posts them almost daily) was simply "Aliens," so I left a somewhat incredulous comment where I insist I still believe him, but since he was driving home from a winery at the time, he may have imagined the whole thing. I didn't consult Ryan at all, of course; that's not the nature of the project. But now someone can begin, from reading my comment, to reconstruct what the original post might have been, and should they in turn leave a remark, the invisible post grows from there. So check it out here--if you have even a shred of creativity in your body, you can help write an invisible blog post today.

P.S. For those of you who might recognize the nature of my invisipost, it's based on an actual story. My high school geometry teacher, the vampire Lezot (or so we called him), insisted that he was buzzed by a low flying UFO one night while, you guessed it, driving home from wine tasting. Why he would open himself up to such potential ridicule is beyond me, but the man was a high school math teacher, so I suppose it goes with the territory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mad props yo.

Unknown said...

Oh Mr. Lezot. I can still hear him shouting at our illustrious colleague, the other Jim: "Staples, your grade is going from an A to an I-don't-know!"

Anonymous said...

I know little to nothing of what you were talking about prior to mentioning your 10th grade geometry teacher, but the very name lezot stirred my emotions. I hope his UFO encounter was filled with many anal probes and other horrible acts of human cavity exploration. (Read painful violation of every possible oraface)

McSpick said...

Let's not forget the dreamy, faraway look he got in his eyes right before he launched into one of his surveying stories. Lesson to teachers: you won't win the hearts and minds of your students with tales of your old career as a surveyor. Not even if you are teaching a surveying course, that will just make them seethe with jealousy.